When you think of the most dangerous animal in the world, the last thing you are thinking about are mosquitoes. There are several animals that would make our list like tigers, sharks, bears, etc. What’s interesting is mosquitoes are more deadly than all of those animals. This is why it is so important to understand mosquitoes and their threat to mankind. Defense Pest Control Service is here to talk a bit more about mosquitoes and why they are considered the most dangerous animal in the world.
Should You Worry About a Mosquito Bite?
Some may not know this, but female mosquitoes are the only ones that bite you. They need the blood to lay their eggs while males do not. As a female moves in to bite you, she will insert two tube-like needles into your skin. The first needle will inject chemicals that dull the pain and keep the blood from clotting. The second will draw blood so she can get the nutrients she needs for her eggs. Female mosquitoes find their prey by smelling the carbon dioxide that we emit while breathing. They are also attracted to our sweat.
Mosquito Borne Diseases
Mosquitoes aren’t one of the most dangerous animals because they are going to rip you to shreds, they are dangerous because they spread many life threatening diseases that can have a large impact on your quality of life and even cause death. As they bite people that are infected with several diseases, they can then spread them to the next host when they land to feed. The viruses or illnesses are usually found in the mosquito’s saliva and is then transmitted to the victim as they feed. In the case of Malaria, a parasite is found on the underside of the female’s body and enters the human as she feeds on them. Some of the viruses that are carried by mosquitoes have a vaccine and some do not. Following are some of the most common mosquito borne diseases:
– Yellow Fever: vaccine available
– Malaria: developing vaccine, pills are available
– Encephalitis: vaccine available
– Dengue Fever: vaccine in development
– Zika: vaccine in development
– West Nile Virus: no vaccine
How to Avoid Mosquito Bites
There are a few ways that you can protect yourself against mosquitoes and their bites. Following are some of the best ways:
– Wear Repellent: When choosing a repellent, you should choose one that has at least 10% DEET in it to effectively keep mosquitoes away.
– Clothing: By wearing light colored clothing, you can more effectively keep from attracting mosquitoes.
– Remove Standing Water: Anywhere on your property that has standing water should be taken care of. This standing water is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Mosquito Inspections, Control, Removal & More in the Greater Cleveland Area | NE & NW Ohio Including Solon, Akron, Middleburg Heights & Medina OH
If you are constantly battling mosquitoes, you can rely on the experts at Defense Pest Control Service to help you get them under control. We offer a mosquito fogging service that can keep mosquitoes away for up to four weeks. Call us today!