Not only are bites from a mosquito itchy and irritating, but they pose a risk of disease as well. Mosquitoes can be one of the most irritating and maddening insects that you will encounter this summer. The irritating bites often leave people asking what in the world is making mosquitoes come around. Of course, mosquitoes are always looking for a blood meal, but what clues them into the fact that their meal is around and they should come looking? Defense Pest Control Service is here to explain some facts about what leads mosquitoes to you.
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me & Not My Husband, Wife or Others?
The first thing you can do to avoid attracting mosquitoes is to know what is attracting them in the first place. Following are some of the things we do to attract mosquitoes without realizing it or intending to.
– How Mosquitoes Find Humans to Bite; Body Heat: Mosquitoes feed on warm-blooded animals. If you are doing an activity that is making you heat up, you could be attracting mosquitoes as this heat is what clues them into the fact that a meal is near. Because pregnant women have more blood during their pregnancy, studies have shown that they attract mosquitoes more as well.
– Alcohol Ingestion Stimulates Mosquito Attraction: Don’t think that you can drink a beer and no one will notice, mosquitoes will be there in a hurry. There have been studies that show that mosquitoes are more attracted to someone who has been drinking because their body heat rises and they are attracted to the alcohol found in sweat.
– Mosquitoes Need Standing Water: If there are any areas in your yard that has standing water, it will surely be filled with mosquito eggs. It can be something as small as a bottle cap that has trapped water to give a female mosquito enough water to lay her eggs in. If you see any standing water, do whatever needs to be done to eliminate it and get rid of it as soon as possible before you have a mosquito infestation on your hands.
– Are Mosquitoes Attracted to Human Breath?: You may not have realized this but the CO2 that is emitted when you breath will attract mosquitoes as well. Unfortunately, the CO2 that some people release when they breathe is more attractive than others, so hopefully you aren’t one of those people!
– Does Sweat Attract Mosquitoes?: Before you start working out in the dusk or dawn hours, remember that anytime you are sweating, mosquitoes will take notice!
– Are Mosquitoes Attracted to Light or Dark Clothing: This doesn’t mean that mosquitoes are the fashion police, they don’t care how nice your clothes are, they are looking for color. Mosquitoes have poor eyesight and can more easily see bright colors than they can if you are wearing light neutrals.
Mosquito Inspections, Control, Removal & More in the Greater Cleveland Area | NE & NW Ohio Including Solon, Akron, Middleburg Heights & Medina OH
If you are struggling with mosquitoes in your yard, you can call on the professionals at Defense Pest Control Service to help you get rid of them. We know that mosquitoes will ruin your gathering faster than anything else and are ready to help you tackle the problem. Call us today!